Basic Whole Wheat Pizza Crust (no added fat + vegan)
Serves: 1 whole crust
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar (brown sugar tastes better)
- about ¾ cup very warm water
- Optional: spices of your choice
- In a food processor add 1 tablespoon yeast and sugar. Add 2 cups of whole wheat flour and pulse a few times to mix the ingredients. After ingredients are mixed, turn food processor ON and slowly add your water until the dough comes together and pulls off the side of the bowl. You may need more or less than ¾ cup water so add very slowly. Once the dough starts to pull off the side of the bowl, continue processor about 1 minute. This step is important so you get the gluten developed and the end product is alot better. Now do one of two things:
- If your food processor is like mine, where the center can be removed and the blade, remove them and put the dough back in and let rest for 60 minutes in a warm place or until doubled in size.
- If your food processor does not disassemble, put your dough into a LIGHTLY oiled bowl, preferably glass and cover with a some-what tight fitting cover (plastic wrap works if you have nothing else), let rise for 60 minutes in a warm place or until doubled in size.
- After your dough has doubled in size, remove it from the container and roll it out to your desired thickness, I suggest using some corn meal (NOT corn starch/flour that's different) for dusting on your work surface to prevent sticking. When you get to your desired thickness, add cornmeal to the pizza by sprinkling it on and rubbing your hand in a circular motion to "grind in" the meal.
- Flip the dough over onto your pizza stone or pan top with your desired sauce and toppings. Bake normal or 425 for about 15-25 minutes depending on thickness. Thin crust pizza tastes only about 15 minutes with toppings. Thicker crust may take 25 or more, depending. I do not know cooking time for deep-dish, no one in my family likes this type of pizza. Enjoy!
Makes enough for 1 large pizza, 2 thin crust or 3 mini pizzas.
Serving size: 1 whole crust Calories: 946 Fat: 5 Saturated fat: 1 Unsaturated fat: 3 Trans fat: 0 Carbohydrates: 204 Sugar: 26 Sodium: 22 Fiber: 32 Protein: 37 Cholesterol: 0