Appetizer / Breads / Recipes / Vegan / Vegetarian
Easy Cornbread Muffins (Lower Sugar with stevia!)
These cornbread muffins are fantastic served with butter or jam, but are also amazing with just about anything. I enjoy them with soups and I used them to make my cornbread stuffing for Thanksgiving this year. Slightly sweetened and oh so delicious!
cornmeal or masa harina
whole wheat flour
unsweetened non dairy milk
apple cider vinegar
egg or vegan egg replacement
dark brown sugar
Preheat your oven to 375F (190C or gass mark 5). Also add your paper liners to your muffin tin or grease VERY well.
In a large mixing bowl add all of your dry ingredients including your sugar and mix well with a whisk. You don't want lumps of flour or leavener. When they're all mixed add your coconut oil. My house wasn't hot enough for it to melt, but if yours is I recommend popping it in the freezer for 15 minutes or so to firm up. You want to whisk it until there batter has small lumps.
In a small bowl or glass mix together your egg and vinegar. If using flax or chia eggs you can add this also. If using a powder, do not mix this until the end.
Once your oven is preheated (and NOT before) mix your wet ingredients into your dry and add your 1/2 cup of HOT water. Divide equally between muffin cups. I recommend 80% full to give a nice rounded top. This method will yield 13 muffins.
Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean and the tops are slightly golden. Between 25-35 minutes. Remove from the pan to cool. Enjoy!
- Flax or chia seeds work fine as egg replacements, as well as powders (use according to box directions)
- Calories reflect use of real eggs, obviously fat would be lower if using replacement.
- I use a brand called pure via (not sponsered) for my stevia and the packets equal 2tsp of sweetness so adjust accordingly, however MOST brands are interchangeable. If using a pure stevia powder (no extra additives) use the tiny scoop provided. TRUST ME it's enough.
- I use masa harina for the digestibility factor, but regular cornmeal does work fine.
- Also, you may substitute 2 Tablespoons of coconut oil for 1/2 cup applesauce. Do not replace all the oil; the texture will not be as good.
Please note nutritional information is provided as a guideline ONLY and can vary greatly depending on ingredients used. TY!
Serving Size 1 muffin
Servings Per Container 13
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 37.8
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 4.2g
Saturated Fat 3.1g
Trans Fat 0g
Total Carbohydrate 15.8g
Dietary Fiber 1.9g
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Breads / Recipes / Side Dish / Vegetarian
Look how yummy it looks!
Simple Cornbread Recipe
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tablespoon oil for batter, can also use melted butter
- 1 tablespoon oil for greasing pan
- ¼ to 1 cup of sugar (see notes)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit, this is approx 200 Celsius. If you are using a cast iron skillet, and you SHOULD, put that in to preheat as well.
- Add your milk and vinegar into a bowl on the side and let this set for a few minutes, this makes faux buttermilk. If you want you can just use buttermilk instead without the vinegar.
- Mix together all the dry ingredients in a bowl, if you want to sprinkle some sugar on top reserve about 1 tablespoon.
- Add your remaining liquid ingredients to the milk mixture. DO NOT mix the liquid into the dry until the pan and oven are preheated.
- Once your pan is well preheated, remove from the oven and add your 1 tablespoon oil. Spread around CAREFULLY with a heat resistant spatula.
- Now you may mix the dry and the wet together, try to remove all lumps. Once your mixture is smooth pour it into your pan. Scrape the bowl out and smooth the mixture in the pan if needed.
- Bake for 25-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. For me this takes 25 minutes but in my old apartment is took 40, so use a toothpick please!
- Let cool for 10 minutes. Slice into 8 pieces and serve with butter and honey, yummy!
I suggest using less sugar for normal cornbread, unless you intend on it being dessert style. If this is the case add more and also include ½ - 1 tablespoon REAL vanilla extract.
For a yummy texture, take one tablespoon of your sugar and set to the side. When you poor your batter in the pan, sprinkle it on top.
Serving size: 1 piece Calories: 212 Fat: 6 Saturated fat: 1 Unsaturated fat: 4 Trans fat: 0 Carbohydrates: 38 Sugar: 15 Sodium: 273 Fiber: 3 Protein: 5 Cholesterol: 29
Want to know more about why we use both baking soda AND baking powder, check out this article from epicurious.com – CLICK HERE
Appetizer / Breads / Recipes / Side Dish / Vegetarian
Healthy Cornbread - Whole grain, low fat, and dairy free!
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 5-8 tablespoons maple syrup (see note)
- 1 tablespoon double acting baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons oil
- ½ cup applesauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar for sprinkling, optional (see note)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla, optional (see note)
- Preheat your oven to 400Â°F or 200Â°c. Once preheated add in a large cast iron skillet or a metal baking tray and preheat for another 5-10 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl add in all your dry ingredients, mix well, and set aside. In another bowl mix all your wet ingredients except 1 tablespoon of the oil. Set these aside until your skillet or pan is heated.
- After the 5-10 minutes of preheating your skillet, carefully remove it from your oven and add in your 1 tablespoon of oil. Use a brush if available to spread the oil around the bottom and sides to prevent sticking, this also creates a very yummy crust.
- RIGHT before adding it to the pan completely mix the wet into the dry ingredients removing any lumps. Add the mixture from a height to remove large air bubbles and make sure it coats the bottom of the pan. Return to oven and bake 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool in pan 20 minutes and enjoy!
In this recipe I used maple syrup. You can replace it with honey or another liquid sweetener if you choose. If you would like to use sugar you'll need to add ½ cup to ¾ cup depending on sweetness and another ¼ to ½ cup of water to adjust the consistency. For a mild tasting cornbread only add 5 tablespoons of maple syrup (even then it's slightly sweet), this is great for mixing with spicy chili. If serving as more sweet add 8 tablespoons maple syrup.
I used about 1 teaspoon of sugar to sprinkle on the top because it makes the top crunchy, this is totally optional and usually I don't do it!
I don't normally add vanilla but if you want a more dessert tasting cornbread add 1 tablespoon of real vanilla extract.
Serving size: 1 slice Calories: 170 Fat: 5 Saturated fat: 3 Unsaturated fat: 1 Trans fat: 0 Carbohydrates: 28 Sugar: 9 Sodium: 261 Fiber: 3 Protein: 4 Cholesterol: 26