Easy Cornbread Muffins (Lower Sugar with stevia!)
- 1 cup cornmeal or masa harina
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup unsweetened non dairy milk
- 1/2 cup HOT water
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil not melted
- 1 large egg or vegan egg replacement see note
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 2 packets stevia see notes
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
Preheat your oven to 375F (190C or gass mark 5). Also add your paper liners to your muffin tin or grease VERY well.
In a large mixing bowl add all of your dry ingredients including your sugar and mix well with a whisk. You don't want lumps of flour or leavener. When they're all mixed add your coconut oil. My house wasn't hot enough for it to melt, but if yours is I recommend popping it in the freezer for 15 minutes or so to firm up. You want to whisk it until there batter has small lumps.
In a small bowl or glass mix together your egg and vinegar. If using flax or chia eggs you can add this also. If using a powder, do not mix this until the end.
Once your oven is preheated (and NOT before) mix your wet ingredients into your dry and add your 1/2 cup of HOT water. Divide equally between muffin cups. I recommend 80% full to give a nice rounded top. This method will yield 13 muffins.
Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean and the tops are slightly golden. Between 25-35 minutes. Remove from the pan to cool. Enjoy!
- Flax or chia seeds work fine as egg replacements, as well as powders (use according to box directions)
- Calories reflect use of real eggs, obviously fat would be lower if using replacement.
- I use a brand called pure via (not sponsered) for my stevia and the packets equal 2tsp of sweetness so adjust accordingly, however MOST brands are interchangeable. If using a pure stevia powder (no extra additives) use the tiny scoop provided. TRUST ME it's enough.
- I use masa harina for the digestibility factor, but regular cornmeal does work fine.
- Also, you may substitute 2 Tablespoons of coconut oil for 1/2 cup applesauce. Do not replace all the oil; the texture will not be as good.