No Knead Bread stuffed with chili peppers & Cheese! (Pan relleno de chiles y queso!)
After I posted a photo of my homemade bread stuffed with cream cheese and candied chili peppers in a Facebook group, everyone all but demanded I show them how to do it. Of course I agreed happily, as any excuse to make this wonderful bread is welcomed in my house. I have to thank Steve Gamelin off of YouTube who has taught me so much about making bread easily. I have adapted this technique and hope to show you many recipes using the no knead overnight method. If you would like to check out his book, and I HIGHLY suggest you do because it is awesome. Here a link to amazon where it can be purchased or borrowed with amazon unlimited. My No-Knead Bread Cookbook (B&W Version): From the Kitchen of Artisan Bread with Steve.
I decided to make 4 larger sized rolls with this recipe so I used 1/2 block of cream cheese and 4 ounces of jalapenos but you can make 6, just adjust the recipe accordingly.
- 3 cups all purpose or bread flour (unbleached is best)
- 12 ounces of cool water
- ¼ teaspoon instant yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 ounce cream cheese per piece of bread
- 1 ounce pickled/candied jalapenos per piece of bread
- 1 whole egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- Baking stone that can go at least 450Â° F
- Parchment paper cut to the size of your stone
- Wire cooling rack
- Bowl/bench scrapper
- Large glass bowl
- Plastic wrap
- Silicone brush
- At least 8 hours before you want to make the bread, (14 is better), mix the dough ingredients in a bowl like shown in the video. A large glass bowl works best for you. Cover with plastic wrap and let set on your kitchen counter overnight. If your house is cold/drafty place into the oven and close the door. This should help keep it slightly warmer.
- Once your dough as more than double in size, scrape it out onto a well floured work surface. Form it into a ball as shown in the video and divide into 4 or 6 pieces. Take one piece of dough at a time and flatten it into about the size of your hand (roughly 6in x 3in). Place your cream cheese and jalapenos on top and pinch it closed. (really watch the video, much easier than describing it)
- Place onto parchment paper or baking sheet. Repeat with all pieces of dough. Cover with a flour sack towel or any lint free towel and let rise on your counter for 90 minutes. After 90 minutes get your oven preheating to 450Â°F and set your timer for an additional 30 minutes. In total dough should rise for 120 minutes (2 hours). If you don't have a pizza stone please see NOTES
- After 2 hours, prepare your egg wash by mixing water and egg thoroughly. Use your silicone brush to thoroughly baste the tops of the dough with egg. Cut 2 or 3 slashes onto the tops with scissors and sprinkle with sesame seeds if desired.
- Put into a hot oven on a pizza stone for 20-25 minutes. Bread should be nicely browned and when you tap on the bottom they sound hallow. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool for at least 20 minutes before cutting into them. If you skip the step the dough might not be cooked all the way through... and that would be sad. 🙁
- Store in the fridge for 3 days at most for best results.
If you do not have a pizza stone you CAN make this without, you just might not get as good of crust. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or sprinkle down cornmeal on the bottom to prevent sticking. Let dough rise for 1 hour 45 minutes. Preheat the oven for only 15 minutes and baking directly on the tray. Remove from the tray onto rack when done cooking.